When children are learning to write their alphabet letters, it is beneficial to incorporate different ways for them to practice forming the letters. Different textures or messy play activities are a great way to engage children in this activity by having them try some of the following to form letters:
- Use their finger in a sand box
- Finger painting by connecting dots
- Using a toothpick in play doh
- Glue cotton balls in the shape of letters
- Stickers in the shape of letters
- Form the letters using a finger in shaving cream, cool whip, paint, or pudding
- Form the letters on a chalkboard, then have them erase the letters using a wet wipe or wet sponge for repetition.
- Alphabet letter shaped snacks (alphabet soup, letter shaped crackers, cookies or fruit snacks)
Incorporating a sensory technique, such as messy play or different textures, increases the child’s ability to process information by increasing their sense of touch, behavior, visual attention, focus, and interest in learning.